Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Ping, Pong, Clang, Ching, Chang. "What's in MY Name?"

We have all heard it, come on let's get real! 

Q:How do Chinese people name their kids? 
A:The drop a pot down the stairs... hahaha

Well in this case that could have happened  to my brother, his name is Ping! But you see as I was growing up I was always asked how come you have such a "white" name. 

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada's beautiful capital.  I was born and raised in this city and am multi-culturally diverse! My best friend was of Latino decent her name was Marisol (which I plan to use if I am blessed with another daughter), I am Catholic/buddhist and am very proud to say so. 

Okay, on to my name! My name is Catherine (Cat) for short. Personal preference is to never be called Cathy, I just don't like it. This is a really short story on how I got my name, no pots or pans needed.

My mom was 6 months pregnant and had just finished doing some grocery shopping in Chinatown in the early 1980 (you don't need to know my age :)). She hailed a cab as it was winter and didn't want to take the bus(wasn't being very frugal), On the way home there was a ton of traffic . They were stuck and no where to go because of an accident up ahead, 60 min sitting in traffic is long. My mother suddenly felt ill and in lots of abdominal pain. She thought to herself she can't be in labor, but she was! 

This was sort of a lucky day for my mom as there were already emergency crews on the way for the accident up ahead so the cab driver flagged down a paramedic. Since they couldn't go anywhere in any direction my mom gave birth to me prematurely in the cab (yup in the cab). The paramedics asked my mom what she was going to name me. My mother turns to the cab driver and asks "where are we" he says "Catherine St."

This folks is how I got my name Catherine!

So, have you heard the joke above? This doesn't apply to my name, just imagine if I was born on a street like King Edward or even Dalhousie(eek). 

Tell me, how did you get your name and how unique is it to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment